Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The long awaited longlist

Every time I enjoy reading a German book, I wonder what the critics will have to say about it and I always try not to spoil my indulgence by avoiding any of the reviews beforehand. Sometimes I am devastated if a critic doesn’t like what I have just been eating up. I have to say that I was very pleased with most of the reviews I read this spring. How could someone not fall in love with Sherko Fatah’s Das Dunkle Schiff (The Dark Ship)? Now, I am pleased to see that some of my favorites even made it into the 2008 longlist of the German Book Prize. I am sure that I will be as nervous at the author, their editors and their publicists, their family and friends out there until the shortlist is announced, let alone the winner. I do have my favorite(s) and only hope that the critics, the almighty jury, will like what I do. Can’t wait!


by Riky Stock

No comments: